Why do you need emollient?
The fact that babies have a thinner and more delicate skin than an adult is visible to the naked eye. Due to this feature, it is more susceptible to irritation and influence of environmental factors, which leads to Oprelostjam, seborejnym crusts, atopicheskomu dermatitis and other unpleasant phenomena.
At the moment it is known that children with atopic dermatitis, among other things, violated the barrier function of the skin due to lack of lipids and protein Filaggrina. The skin of such children is prone to dryness (which in itself is an unpleasant sensation-tightness, itching, peeling), the appearance of Microfractures and the development of bacteria, because on the skin of any person live whole colony of various microorganisms and as soon as Barrier functions of the skin fail, they begin active reproduction, which leads to aggravation of atopic dermatitis.
Thus, if the protective layer of the baby's skin is constantly maintained in a normal condition, it is possible to significantly reduce (and sometimes completely eliminate) the manifestations of atopic dermatitis. One of the basic means, having such supporting action, are emollient-substances softening a skin. They artificially create a lipid film, restoring the damaged surface of the epidermis and, as a result, its barrier function, which significantly reduces the dryness of the skin and eliminates itching. It should be remembered that emollient not replace anti-inflammatory treatment in atopic dermatitis, but they are a necessary addition to it.
As currently on the market is a huge selection of Jemolentov (the most popular series: Emolium, Mustela Stelatopia, Lipikar AP +, Lokobejz Ripea, LIPOBEJZ, Avène, Topicrem), try to understand how they differ, how to choose the right and how Use it correctly to achieve maximum effect.
Types of Jemolentov
Natural (plant and animal)
These funds are usually based on oil and/or natural wax. The following components are most commonly used:
- Peach and olive oil: contain many biologically active substances that have a positive effect on the skin, in particular, soften it, increase elasticity, protect against external negative factors, as well as eliminate dryness. It should be noted that these components, as well as all natural oils, leave a greasy film.
- Jojoba oil: From a chemical point of view it is not oil, but natural liquid wax, derived from the plant Simmondsia chinensis. It is very easy to flow through the skin, moisturizing it and forming a protective film, holding moisture.
- Lanolin: Animal wax, obtained by vyvarivaniiing the wool of sheep. It forms on the skin fat film, holding moisture, perfectly relieves the symptoms of dryness and nourishes the epidermis. Nowadays derivatives of lanolin-lanolinovoe oil and lanolin alcohol are more common.
- Squalene: Liquid hydrocarbon contained in sebum, shark liver and olive oil. It perfectly softens the skin and also has protective properties.
It should be noted that the products on a natural basis are considered to be the most safe for the body, but are allergic enough, so before they are used to make sure that they do not cause unpleasant reactions.
These means are based on fatty acids, ethers and other components obtained by synthetic means. As a result of chemical reactions are formed biologically inert substances, which are stored on the surface of the skin, not irritating it, but forming a protective film. The likelihood of an allergic reaction to such a remedy is much lower than the natural. Another "plus" is that they practically do not leave a fatty effect.
This category includes means on the basis of paraffin, Vaseline and/or mineral oils, which are considered chemically and biologically neutral-not absorbed into the skin, not assimilated by its cells, but are able to create a protective film, preventing evaporation of moisture and limiting the negative impact of the environment on the skin.
Emollient of chemical origin are considered to be something middle between natural and synthetic means.
Jemolentov Release Forms
When choosing Jemolenta first of all you need to decide on its form, because it is for each stage its own.
Most effectively restore the damaged hydrolipid layer of the epidermis ointments and creams.
Ointments the most dense on a structure, consist of mineral oils and practically do not contain water, thus perfectly soften a skin and create on it a protective film. They are preferable to apply on very dry, cracked, thickened areas of a skin (the emulsion with such task will not cope).
Ointments can not be used in the acute stage of atopic dermatitis, and also applied to the area of wrinkles, because there may be a "greenhouse effect" with the formation of diaper and Moknutij.
Creams are also strong enough jemolentami, but contain much less fats, than ointments, therefore they are more easily applied and faster absorbed.
Lotions at the expense of features of the composition at application quickly evaporate from a skin, semifinished it even more. Therefore they are used only on weeping areas. Once the inflammation is removed and the moknutie disappears, the jemolent of the other form should be chosen.
During remission (or with a slight dryness), on the scalp, as well as in the hot season, you should use emulsion or milk. Due to their light texture they allow the skin to breathe.
How to choose Jemolent?
The first thing to decide when choosing Jemolenta-with its form, which depends, as it was considered above, from the stage of disease and localization.
Then it is more difficult, because jemolent can be picked up only by experienced way. Sometimes even the most expensive and seemingly the best means do not fit (ineffective or even worsen the condition of the skin) to a particular child. In this connection, buying a large package at once seems irrational. It is better to dial different probes and experiment. Despite the manufacturer's assurances that such remedies are hypoallergenic, individual reactions cannot be excluded as well. Therefore, before to apply jemolent on all body, it is necessary to carry out a test on reaction of a skin: to put a remedy on a small area and to wait at least day, observing reaction.
When choosing Jemolentov also remember that they should be developed and produced using modern high technologies, taking into account the special requirements for the care of the baby's delicate skin. In addition to the usual check of the shelf life of the drug, it is necessary to pay attention to what stage atopic dermatitis it is used, as well as age restrictions on its use.
To ensure that the chemical composition of hygiene products and subsequent skin care is compatible, it is desirable to use the means of one brand.
Why children's cream does not replace jemolent?
Since emollient is not cheap, moms often try to replace them with regular baby cream. However, it is worth remembering that many modern children's creams contain stabilizers, fragrances and alcohol, which are able to dissolve lipids (with which the Atopikov already have problems) and, as a result, lead to new aggravations.
At the same time, emollient, developed specifically for the care of atopic skin (as well as the skin prone to dryness), contain in its composition physiological lipid mixtures in the right ratio, are hypoallergenic, do not contain preservatives and Flavors.
Before the purchase of special means to soften the skin will help bepanten or other good cream with panthenol, but it will not be a complete replacement jemolenta.
How to apply emollient?
Usually the first time atopic dermatitis notice only at the stage of aggravation. However, after removing the symptoms of inflammation of the baby's skin remains dry and easily inflameded again and again. Often this is due to the fact that parents do not apply during the remission emollient or apply them incorrectly.
To increase the time between exacerbations (and possibly avoid them altogether), you should know the following rules for using Jemolentov:
- In atopic dermatitis observed dryness of the skin throughout the body, not only in the inflamed areas, therefore, apply jemolent to the whole body. On especially problematic areas apply ointments/creams/lotions (depending on the problem), for the rest-emulsion/milk.
- Not all emollient have moisturizing properties. Their main goal is to saturate the skin with lipids and to retain moisture. Accordingly, emollient should be applied on a damp skin: within three minutes after bathing or irrigation by thermal/mineral/filtered water promoknuli a skin soft cotton/b a diaper or a napkin and have inflicted jemolent.
- Emollient should be applied in a thin layer, as if forming on a skin a protective film.
- Emollient should be used even in those periods when there are no symptoms of the disease. Only the form of Jemolenta and its quantity are changed.
- It is necessary to apply emollient as the skin dryness. The instructions usually indicate the frequency of application 1-3 times a day. However, this frequency is suitable only for remission period: In the morning, after bathing and at bedtime (if bathing and sleep are separated by a large time interval, respectively, 3 times a day; If the sleep follows bathing-2 times). However, in the period of aggravation (and immediately after it) skin (especially on damaged areas), as a rule, needs more frequent care (the first couple of days (and sometimes a week) it dries up 2-3 hours after applying jemolenta), so determine the frequency of application It is possible only by the skilled way: have touched a skin-dry-Uvlazhnili, Promoknuli, have inflicted jemolent. Also at redness cheeks, it makes sense to process them before each feeding that they are not irritated from contact with food. In the cold season it is worth to apply jemolent on the face and hands of the baby half an hour before the exit to the street-this procedure will help protect the delicate skin from temperature difference.
- It is known that the skin has the property to get used to cosmetic products. Emollient-no exception, so they are recommended to change every month and a half.
- To cancel emollient should be gradually and only upon achievement of a steadfast remission. First we switch to more "light" forms (milk/emulsion), then reduce the number of applications. Do it better outside the heating season.
You may be interested in the following entries: